\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Not My Kind of Celebration........


Is there anyone else who cringes when they hear “Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!”
Every time I am told this I find myself making a conscious decision between taking the time to enlighten the well-wisher with some history of their country …..or just saying …..yes…U 2! Being a Native American (Mille Lacs Band of Minnesota Ojibwe) and living in the southwest (Arizona), I am amazed time and time again by the insensitivity of the people I interact with on a daily basis.

Now, I know that in American schools across the country, the history books tell a story of the Indians celebrating the harvest with their new Pilgrim friends.

Lets examine how this pumkin-pie fall festival day of family gathering came to be, shall we??

There once was a group of Puritans (extremist religious sect of their time) who considered themselves the “chosen elect” as defined in the book of Relevations. They considered any others who chose not to join them in their Holy war fighting Satan "the enemy".

You might be shocked (I was ) to read their 1623 Thanksgiving sermon, where praises were given to the Almighty for near destruction of the Wampanoag Natives from smallpox. It references how “the seeds” or children and men died. Did they even consider how these “savages” basically saved their white asses the first winter in “their” new world??

The intention of the Pilgrims when they decided to share their first Thanksgiving Feast (even though most of the food was provided by the Natives) was actually full of manipulation and self-protection.

You see, as far as they were concerned, this feast served a few purposes. First, they were no longer in debt. Second, it gave a false impression of being neighborly and not to be feared (until the rest of the boatloads of European settlers showed up on the shores).

Fast forward to the children of the first settlers as adults. A little thing called the King Phillip's War. Many Natives were raped, killed, sold into slavery, and systematically destroyed. Recognizing the success of the slave trade, (and running out of natives to sell), the settlers turned to Africa for new supplies of slaves.
Certainly, this is a very short and “readers digest” version of our countries history. But, perhaps it will plant the seed of diversity in the three people who read my blog. (LOL), and they will begin to tell the “real” story to their children. Maybe in time, our schools will begin to share the “ugliness” of what really happened during this period in history, rather than perpetuate the myths. I wish that Thanksgiving could be a time when Americans remember and honor the Native peoples who helped them survive and made this country possible. Perhaps someday, it will.
This year? I plan to spend my day feeding the homeless at St. Vincent de Paul
….and being thankful for my blessings.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger •♥•m•♥• said...

Thanks Addict....and you and yours as well :)

Tue Nov 22, 09:52:00 PM MST  
Blogger bricotrout said...

well, i used to say happy turkey day. now i say happy soy harvest day? does that work? how you been?

Wed Nov 23, 10:39:00 PM MST  
Blogger BUMBLE!!! said...

We were discussing this the other day - the idea of Native Americans and Europeans sitting down to "chow" - and decided that Thanksgiving is more just family, football and food.

The thing about most holidays in America is that you can spend them without believing in what they're about. Take Christmas. I'm not a practicing Christian (was baptized through no choice of my own), but I still celebrate Christmas for the family get togethers, Santa / trees / snowmen and giving gifts to others. In that way, I think most people have taken the religion out of it, just like the non-history out of Thanksgiving.

Maybe that's east coast bias or something, but other than a 4 day weekend and the day before the Wal Mart buy a thon day, it's just a day for people to get together. Hell, my mom didn't even make us do a prayer or a toast this year.

So am I hypocritical? I try to be enlightened and all, but in the end, I'm just me.

If you need some good history books, you can always go with Howard Zinn's People's History and You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train and Dee Brown's Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, but you've probably read 2 of the 3 already.

Have a good weekend in whatever you do and stay warm. If PA is freezing cold, the great north has got to be even rougher.

Fri Nov 25, 05:11:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home